27.9.11

Fig Jam with Cognac

My parents have the most amazing fig tree in their garden.  A couple of years ago while I was visiting them in Los Angeles for the weekend, I harvested over 12 pounds of ripe figs from that one tree.

I gave away nine pounds of figs to joyful friends, and from the remaining three pounds I made jam.  Not just any old kind of jam... I made fig jam with cognac from this recipe.

I'm not a great lover of jam.  I have a fondness for cherry preserves or a good pot of blueberry jam, but as for all the rest -- I can take it or leave it.  This fig jam, however...  I can eat it by the spoonful straight out of the jar.

Last year, with a new baby, I skipped jam making, however, when my parents showed up last Thursday for a visit, they brought 5 pounds of figs. I bought a set of bright, new canning jars and got busy...

And I made jam!  
 Would you care to join me for some tea and toast and... fig jam?

8 comments:

  1. Can't say I've ever had fig jam, but it certainly looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about a glass of cognac with cheese and fig jam?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Lorraine, it is indeed quite delicious!

    And Shannon, how about some nice manchego? (there's also plenty of cognac left over in the bottle from making the jam!)

    MB

    ReplyDelete
  4. (I've never in my whole life tried a fig! Can you believe it? I'm a little embarrassed.)

    Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goooooooooooooodness!!

    wish we were closer to trade for a jar :) wow!!!! gorgeous photos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fig jam? Yum! Your parents' tree is definitely blooming. I have to say that I've tried fresh figs and they're so-so. I think it may be that I don't know what I'm looking for in a ripe fig. But fig jam is another story all together. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your fig jam looks wonderful, I would love to put a fig tree out in my garden- how fun it would be to make this jam! ~April

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness that looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)