16.11.11

Apple Crumble

Last week, our friends from Sebastopol showed up on our doorstep and they brought with them about 20 pounds of apples.  What's a girl to do with 20 pounds of apples?  Give some away, of course, and then it's time to cook up an apple crumble.

The recipe I use is a basic one:
Preheat oven to 375 F.  Peel, core and cut into 1-inch chunks 3-6 pounds of apples.  Place the cut apples into a 9 x 12 or 10 x 15 inch glass baking dish.

For the topping, mix gently in a large bowl: 1 cup of oatmeal, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 a cup all-purpose unbleached flour and 1/2 a teaspoon of salt.  Cut 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter into the bowl with the sugar, oatmeal & flour mixture.  Keep mixing and cutting the butter into the other other ingredients until the mixture is dry and crumbly.  Evenly distribute the topping mixture over the apples Bake approx. 50-55 minutes, until the topping is lightly browned.

Serve with whip cream, vanilla ice cream or grab a big spoon and eat it right out of the pan for breakfast.  Now if you'll excuse me, please, I've got to go refill my bowl.

 * * *
 (Note: This post was shared at Natural Suburbia's Creative Friday...)

2 comments:

  1. Mmm! That beats the applesauce I *tried* to make yesterday. It turned dark from the cast iron pan, and tastes kind of metal-ly. I'd better try to redeem myself. Sugar and butter might help! Happy eating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing at Crafty Moms Share!!

    ReplyDelete

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)