11.12.11

Pinecone Gnomes


I was walking through the garden with my wee Bloom this morning and heard a small rustling of leaves.  Our attention was drawn down to the roots of a great pine tree.  


Nestled among the roots, pine needles and fallen leaves were these two little fellows, doing their best disguise themselves among the pinecones.


The two little gnomes squeaked in terror when they realized they'd been spotted, but after my wee Bloom and I knelt down and assured them we meant no harm, they invited a third friend to join them.  Introductions were made with a "How do you do, and a how do you do, and a how do you do, again..." (the gnomes in my garden are, apparently, very formal little fellows!)  We talked about the weather, the fallen leaves and the migrating birds. Then our new friends said they must be on their way to help the local squirrels hunt a few last acorns, so we parted ways with a very formal "Hope to see you, and a hope to see you, and a hope to see you again soon!"  And I'm sure we shall...


If you would like to see some pine-cone gnomes in your garden, you'll want to find some smallish pinecones and 1-inch wooden beads with 3/8th inch holes like these.


As you can see, I made a simple pattern for the hats out of newsprint...  These hats are about 2 1/2 inches high.


To help the little gnomes balance, you may want to cut some feet from matching felt and glue them to the bottoms of the pine-cones.  One of my pine-cones was still a little wobbly so I reinforced the felt base with a piece of cardboard (and if your pine-cones are really wobbly, you can add some weight by gluing a penny to the base...)


If you want your gnomes to have mittens, you can cut 3 inch lengths of pipe-cleaner, run a line of glue along the center 2 inches and then place it in among the bristles through the middle of your pine-cone.  Leave an inch, or so, of the ends of your pipe cleaner sticking out in front to form two arms.


Then glue your bead to the top of the pine-cone, glue the hat to the top of the wooden bead and mittens to the ends of the pipe-cleaner arms.  Finally, if you wish, you can paint or draw little faces.  For these gnomes I used colored pencils to draw the faces, and I think it worked out nicely. Don't you?


24 comments:

  1. These are so adorable... I love that you put them there and 'discovered' them together. So magical. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pinecone gnomes turned out wonderfully :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These little gnomes are darling!! I always love your projects- you are so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Peggy, these are wonderful! I love the little mittened hands especially. I would love to overhear a conversation like that. I should think gnomes who take such care to colour coordinate their mittens and hats would be rather formal little folk :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are lovely!

    my little one made some last week, one was a portrait of her baby brother. i love yours, perhaps i will help her make a whole neighborhood of these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are darling! Will be adding this to our winter preschool crafts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lucky one wee Bloom is to find such treasures in the garden and to be able to overhear such conversation

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those little pinecones are so cute!! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to be out collection pine cones tomorrow for part of our winter solstice fun. Now I'm going to have to collect a few more for this! Too fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an adorable project!! Thanks for sharing and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much of character has to do with the placement of facial features and hands. I suppose you're tired of me telling you how good you are. Are you? Tired of it? Snicker.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea...we have so many pine cones it's nice to have activity ideas for them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We loved your gnomes so much we shared them in our top 5 creative ways kids can bring fall inside over at The Stir! http://thestir.cafemom.com/toddler/144615/5_creative_ways_kids_can

    ReplyDelete
  14. How creative...thank you so much! love the story too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi, love your gnomes they are adorable-going to make some for wedding decorations in our nature forest themed wedding. Also could be used as favor ideas

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, love the gnomes and so did my daughter! I linked you on my website if that is okay with you? www.splanade.com

    ReplyDelete

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)