28.8.12

Making Peg Dolls: The Photos

There are a number of the unsung heroes who have greatly contributed to my soon-to-be-released book Making Peg Dolls. At the top of the list is my husband, so today I am here to set the record straight.

Guess who is responsible for the utter gorgeousness of the photos for the book?  My very own Mr. Bloom!  Yes, I made all the dolls and arranged the little scenes to be photographed (in photo-lingo, that would mean I worked as the photo-stylist), but my Mr. Bloom... he set up a photo studio in our home, he set up the huge and very elaborate lighting system, and he spent endless time adjusting the lighting and made it all work.  It took us many hours and many days over a period of three months to shoot the photos for this book.  We bundled up in hats and warm socks, we drank many cups of coffee, nibbled cashews, listened for the baby to wake from his afternoon sleep, shot lots of photos and then edited all those photos.

How did Mr. Bloom get to be so clever about things such as setting up a photo studio with fancy lighting and everything?  Well, before he transitioned to his current career, he worked as a commercial photographer.  He shot advertisements for non-profits such as Catholic Charities and the American Heart Association.  He shot for magazines such as American Girl, he shot home-goods for Macy's catalogs, etc... etc...  Clever fellow!

 
We didn't take many photos to document the process of creating photos for the book, but in a moment of jubilation, I grabbed the above shot of one of our final photography sessions.

This was the result of that shot (and it's one of my favorites...)

Thank you, Mr. Bloom, for your photography magic (and for being a marvelous husband, too!)

9 comments:

  1. gorgeous!! stunning pictures for the sweetest little dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome that you could work together on this! You both did a wonderful job. Love the shot with the birds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely to be able to peek behind the scenes like this! They're wonderful photos (though those little peggy muses must have been fabulous to work with....)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful pictures, and cute peg dolls! I look forward to finding out more about your book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Mr Bloom! and Mrs Bloom your creations are simply gorgeous. I am itching to get my hands on that book of yours xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! My husband cuts my hair, for which I'm truly grateful. Now I shall try not to be jealous, as those are some amazing pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your photos are truly amazing! way to go you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous pictures, Mr Bloom! I can imagine that would be a lovely three months of sharing and creating together. I can't wait to own your book, it looks wonderful. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a treat to be so well suited with your Person! I love that your book comes from both of you in this way. And so fun to see the behind the scenes shot. Happy happy happy book fan over here. Yay!

    ReplyDelete

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)